Generators For Antique Cars, Trucks & Machinery
Quality - Value - Service
Metroplex Alternator rebuilds 6 Volt and 12 Volt generators for both negative and positive ground systems.
The generator is the predecessor to the alternator in the automobile charging system. Early cars and trucks had very few electrical accessories, usually just the basic lighting such as head lights, taillights, brake lights, and dash board lights, and maybe a radio and heater blower fan. The entire electrical load of a typical car or truck was about 25 to 30 amps. Generators easily met the demands of these early vehicles but car manufacturers wasted little time in adding electrical accessories and soon the generator began to show the limits of its design. One of the limits was the lack of output at low engine speeds. Generators produce little or no output at engine idle speeds. Another limit was the overall power output relative to the generators size and weight. When technology had advanced to the point when silicon diodes (necessary for alternator design) could be manufactured inexpensively and be made to be fairly robust the generators days were numbered.
Despite their limitations, generators work perfectly well on antique vehicles that have no added electrical accessories and they allow the vehicle to maintain its original under hood appearance. We rebuild all types of generators for antique cars, trucks, & machinery. Whether your generator is 6 volt or 12 volt, positive ground or negative ground, we can rebuild it for you. We can also convert many generators from 6 volt to 12 volt and provide the correct 12 volt voltage regulator to match.
We also offer rebuilt motor-generators, which are sometimes called starter-generators. These units look like an antique generator but they perform both the starting and charging functions in the electrical systems of small horsepower engines for things like a golf cart, portable power plant, tractor, or mower.
Services for the Generator
The original generator is put through a remanufacturing process.
- Complete disassembly of the unit.
- All components are cleaned and inspected.
- Service components are replaced with 100% new parts. (brushes, bushings, etc.)
- Commutator is resurfaced, undercut and polished on lathe.
- Field Coil and Armature windings are tested electrically for shorts and grounds.
- All Generators are 100% bench tested under load to meet output standards
Only the minimum number of components are replaced to make the generator work.
- The generator is bench tested to determine which components have failed.
- Only the failed component or components are replaced.
- The generator is bench tested to meet output standards.
- No other repairs are made.....no cleaning, no new bearings, no new brushes.
- No Warranty is offered.
A new generator is supplied as a replacement.
**New generators are available for only a few applications.**
- New - Aftermarket: 100% new units manufactured by companies other than the Original Equipment Manufacturer. Most but not all of these are made in China or Taiwan. Generally they are less expensive than new OEM units.